Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back in the saddle again

This week I got back on my bike for the first time in a while. It felt good. Biking is my favorite of the three sports for so many different reasons. It is the only one of the three that I would actually consider a legitimate mode of transportation. Realistically, I could and will ride my bike to work. It is about 18 miles each way and there is a bike path almost the entire way. I would never consider walking, running, or swimming (?!?) to work. It is also the only one of the three that you could still be moving forward if you stopped to take a breather for a second.

I have always wanted to just hop on my bike with nothing but water, a bit of food, and my credit card and ride the entire loop of the Emerald Necklace. For those of you not from Cleveland, the Emerald Necklace is the series of metroparks and bike trails that loop about 80 miles around the city and suburbs. It is very beautiful and I have ridden several miles of it when I was in training for another bike race I did years ago with a friend of mine called Pedal to the Point. That is a 2 day 160 mile bike ride from Cleveland to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. Ironically, that is where the Rev3 triathlon is taking place. I guess all roads lead to Cedar Point.

Getting back to my original point, my work out consisted of warming up, I started in an low gear working my way up and down the cogset. I spent 2 minutes on each gear with no rest between gears, then did a cool down. I was on the bike about 45 minutes. I hope to build this drill so I am doing 5 minutes on each gear. This was a good drill to literally and figuratively get back in the saddle. The only drawback is my bum is sore from not riding in so long. I wish there was an easier way to ease back into that.

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous, Im just 2 hours south and I cant get out on the road.

    ReplyDelete