Friday, October 22, 2010

Things about Me

Since I have no race reports and am between goals right now, I thought I’d write a few things about me you may not know.

1. I nuke plain M&M for about a minute on high before I eat them. The chocolate melts but the shell doesn’t. They taste great. I highly recommend everyone try it at least once before you judge.

2. I may not be very fast at triathlons, but I’m very good at my job. Better than good. I’d go so far as to say I’m great at what I do. I’m in a male dominated field and ‘chick’ the guys in my department on a daily basis. They’d probably agree with me too.

3. I’ve never had a cigarette in my entire life. Not even once.

4. As much as I love a good steak, I could live the rest of my life without red meat.

5. The 10 months I was unemployed in 2008 were some of the happiest and stress free months of my life. I was well rested and got to play everyday with my boys – three of those months were in the summer. Then I ended up at a great company that supports my desire to do triathlons.

6. My husband and I were married in Las Vegas. The wedding cost $200 and that included the ceremony, flowers, photographer, videographer, marriage license, a limo ride to the court house to get the license and champagne. We were trying to elope but 40 people followed us out there anyway! It was the best 4 day party ever!

7. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday: The menu is pretty much set, it includes all of my favorite foods, I get to see family I don’t see very often, and it doesn’t include gift giving. I also got engaged on Thanksgiving and my youngest son was born on Thanksgiving. Oddly enough, we named him Tom. We didn’t realize the implication at the time.

8. I truly enjoy driving long distances in my car – especially by myself. I usually listen to a book on tape or XM radio or catch up with family and friends on my cell phone – using my Bluetooth of course. At one point, I was averaging 5,000 miles a month in my car for work. Good thing I enjoy it.

9. I am a total geek. As I always say – you can’t spell geek without the ‘double e’s.’ That is a really bad joke for electrical engineers (My college degree is a BS in EE). I’m completely into sci-fi and can talk Star Trek and Star Wars as well as any guy. On the 20th anniversary of Star Wars I went to see all three movies in one night by myself so as not to be disturbed by anyone else talking.

10. I love the way I feel after I have run or done a triathlon. This is why I’m not bothered by how slow I am. I hope I stay healthy enough to do this a long, long time.

11. The F-word is one of my favorite words. I find it cathartic. However, it is probably not a good example for my boys to hear their mom saying it repeatedly. Oops – sorry guys.

12. I know many mean people, many bad people and many evil people. I can deal with the mean and bad people but cannot deal with the evil people. Luckily, I also believe in karma. So the evil people will be dealt with at a later time.

13. The best advice I was ever given was: Always live east of where you work. My dad told me this when I graduated college. He drove for 40+ years into the sun to and from work because our house was west of where he worked.

14. The next best advice I was ever given was: In a social situation where you know no one, start a conversation with someone by asking them about them self. My husband told me to do this because I’m in this situation frequently. He said everyone’s favorite topic of conversation is them self. It has never failed me.

15. The third best advice I was ever given was: Invest the maximum company matching percentage in your 401K the second you are eligible. I was 22 when I stared my career and was told by a manager that if I saved money only from the age of 22 to 30, I have more than him if he saved the maximum amount from the age of 30 to 65. He showed me the math – its true.

16. I have difficulty doing addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in my head but can do integrals and derivatives in my head no problem. This is why my husband has already volunteered me to be the calculus, chemistry and physics tutor for our sons when they get to high school. It is also why I’m never allowed to figure out the tip at a restaurant.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I cannot live without my red meat! Burgers and steaks are my fave! Chicken? You can have it, burgers? No way.

    I know my share of mean, bad and evil people - my request is if you are any of those, just be that way all the time so I know what to expect! And I agree - every dog has his(her) day.

    And let's give it up for the F word!!!!!! How fun it is to use that word!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific post. I'm a big fan of #'s 7 and 11.

    I love Turkey Day as well. By far my favorite holiday and for your exact reasons.

    As for #11.....well ever since I was a kid I have used it. Probably learned it from my Dad and haven't stopped using it yet. It is cathartic. I once told my mother that it is the best adjective you could ever use.

    My example was.....if you served me dinner and I said it was good or if I said it was f'n good which one would you rather eat? There you have it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Dad,
    I live 55 miles due West of work. But I have become an expert and visor tilting..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #10.

    I will have to remember #14

    I'm trying to convince my daughter about #15

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Thanks for sharing with us.

    Never ever ever heated up m&ms... hmmm something worth trying now!

    agree on the driving in the sun thing. Always lived east of my employment, unintentionally though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew that about m&m's

    Have you seen the movie fanboy, its about a bunch of star war fans and they cross the path of some trekkies, Its kinda funny, its on showtime right now.

    One fact about me, I rarely swear, if I do, its because something has really really ticked me off

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I JUST REALISED

    #13 is so very true! I can't believe I just figured this out now. Thats exactly my annoyance on the way to the office.

    I'm feeling dumb now. QUICK- I need to find a new job or buy a new house lol.

    ReplyDelete