Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What a pain in the neck

I haven’t been writing much lately because there hasn’t been much to write about. I haven’t been training a whole lot because my neck has been bothering me. By bothering me, I mean I feel stabbing pains in my neck and shoulders 24/7. Can’t say for sure what the cause was, I just know on the morning of Dec. 5, 2009 I woke up with a sore neck. I kept hoping it would go away thinking I just slept funny. Needless to say, it didn’t. I kept asking my husband, Lou – ‘Should I go to the doctor?’ Every time he said yes. I shoulda listened to him. I would have felt better - sooner.

I couldn’t swim because I couldn’t turn my head. It kept getting worse and worse. Sometimes the pain was so bad it nauseated me. Not fun. I couldn’t bike because of the position of my head while riding. I couldn’t run because the pounding hurt it even more. Strength training – forggedaboudit. I still did a little if I had a better day than others, but nowhere near what I wanted to do.

Anyway, it took me until Dec. 31st to see my primary care physician. He gave me a muscle relaxant and pain killers. That was not the route I wanted to take but he wouldn’t recommend me to a physical therapist until I tried the drugs for a few days. He said if the pain didn’t ease by the following Monday, to call him and he’d send me to PT. I said OK. The drugs helped a little bit but only a little. Also, I couldn’t have a drink on New Years Eve because of the drugs. Bummer.

I called him that Monday and I got the referral for PT. It took over a week for the first available appointment, but I took it. I had a few appointments and was very disappointed. The pain in my neck kept moving from place to place (top right – lower middle – top left – back to top right, etc.) with no relief in the intensity of the pain. It was a mystery where the pain was going to move to next. As much as I love a good mystery – this one sucked!

After talking with my husband and a couple friends, all whom had seen a chiropractor before, I came to the conclusion that I needed chiropractic help. My friends opinions ranged from “I will never go again” to “I go once a month” but they all said the same thing – they experienced relief from their pain after seeing one. My biggest problem was that I was terrified of going to a chiropractor.

I went to see one locally. I made an appointment for that day. They took a full history and some x-rays – something the doctor and PT had not done. I was told I had a straight neck and sublaxation. Whatever – I just needed by back cracked by a professional. The doctor then proceeded to crack my neck then my back. It sounded like a 1000 bubble wrap bubbles popping at the same time. AHHHHHHHHHH! Instant relief. I hadn’t felt this good in nearly 7 weeks. I went back a second time for more of the same. I’m still not 100% but I feel so much better.

I’m hoping to bet back into training soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment